When Brandon (my favorite boy to play with) was very young we would love to lounge on my favorite couch with my head in Brandon’s lap and we would read from one of the great children’s dog stories that we both loved. Of course he would sneak out to the kitchen and get me one of my favorite dog treats from the best gourmet dog bakery in the United States. Please don’t tell Mum that he also ate some of the treats. He loved the pumpkin dog treats, the smell was wonderful and it contained all the natural stuff that is so good for both dogs and humans. It is amazing how thinking about those super holistic dog treats gets me off the track so I’ll get back telling you about my favorite dog books for children.
- Olive, The other Reindeer by Vivian Walsh and J. Otto Seibold.
- Lady Lupin’s Book of Etiquette by Babette Cole.
- Old Yeller by Fred Gibson, a classic.
- Walter the Farting Dog, 1st of a series by William Kotzwinkle,Glenn Murray,Elizabeth Gundy, and Audrey Coleman.
- Sally goes to the Vet by Stephen Huneck. Four more in this series and they are all good.
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London, another classic.
- City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Williams and Jon Muth.
- Because of Winn Dixie by Katie DiCamillo.
- Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion.
I hope you enjoy them as much as Brandon and I did. The secret is to munch on a gourmet dog treat from One Lucky Dog Bakery.