If you have been reading my blog you already know how important I think it is to read dog food labels. To make things easier for you I am going to list Finn’s top 13 worst ingredients in dog food. If you see any of these on the label of your dog food it is time to run to One Lucky Dog Bakery and talk to Stacey about the health of your dog.
- Wheat – #1 allergen for dogs.
- Corn – #2 allergen for dogs.
- Animal Fat or Meat & Bone Meal (MBM)- These are products of rendering(could be diseased animals), the Food & Drug Administration found that these products are most likely associated with the presence of sodium pentobarbital, drug used by Vets and Shelters for euthanasia.
- Chemical Preservatives – BHA,BHT, or Ethoxyquin which are all linked to cancer. Why is Ethoxyquin banned for human foods but ok for dogs?
- By-Product meal – Any part of animals that are not muscle tissue. Can be heads, feet, feathers or in other words parts which add weight to the food but no value.
- Brewers Yeast – Can cause yeast overruns in your dog. Yeast infection will be seen in the ears and the skin.
- Soy – #3 allergen for dogs.
- Egg Product – Whole eggs are extremely good for dogs. Egg product refers to egg shells, eggs that have gone rancid or eggs that have spoiled.
- Digest – Poultry digest and meat digest actually refers to roadkill animals and euthanized pets.
- Cellulose – Just another name for sawdust.
- Soy Flour – A filler with little nutritional value and is also an allergen.
- Animal Digest – Animal byproducts with little nutritional value.
- Yellow 5 or 6, Blue 2, Red 40 – These dyes will cause allergic reactions, behavior problems, and cancer.
Hope this helps with the confusing world of dog food labels. At One Lucky Dog Bakery we carry Fromm, Orijen, Acana, Zignature, Open Farms, Ziwi Peak and Primal because we did the research for you and found none of these 13 items, plus these companies have never had a recall.
You should also know that you will not find any of these ingredients on the Ohio approved dog treats we make every day at the store.