Hi, it’s Fergus again and today I’d like to talk about a subject which is especially important to me and all dogs, healthy dog treats. If you are a regular Customer of One Lucky Dog Bakery you already know that we have six dog treats that have peanut butter. These are Peanut Butter, Monkey Bones, Finn’s Chocolate Dream, Garbage, Bark Bone, and Riggs. In recent years Peanut Butter suppliers have eliminated sugar and added a sweetener called xylitol because of its dental benefits for people as well as a sugar substitute for people with diabetes. The bad news is xylitol is extremely dangerous for us dogs. A little bit ( 0.007 teaspoon) can cause a big drop in a dog’s blood sugar and we can appear disoriented, stagger, collapse, and even get a seizure. Double that to 0.014 teaspoon and a dog’s liver can fail. Today peanut butter manufactures do not have to tell you that they use xylitol. The suppliers tell us xylitol is safe for humans but I think you shouldn’t chance it for dogs or humans.
The good news is at One Lucky Dog Bakery we use natural peanut butter with no sugar, salt, or xylitol. We want all dogs to live a long and healthy life which is why we are very careful regarding all the ingredients of our dog treats.
I’m sorry but I have to leave you now because as usual I’m at the bakery and some Monkey Bones (Peanut Butter and Banana) are coming out of the oven and I must do my duty and make sure they are up to our high standards. Monkey Bones is our most popular treat and all the Deerhounds at the Bakery agree, they are the best.
Please check the labels on your peanut butter jars or call the manufacturer before you give your dog a taste of your favorite peanut butter you put on your toast in the morning.
Thanks for listening.
Sometimes when I’m trying to think of things to write about in this blog I try to think of some of the ways that we dogs and our owners have the same problems. Many dog owners participate in sports activities and they will get a scrape on their arms and knees from contact with a basketball floor, sliding into second base, or from roller or ice skating. Other dog owners are very handy around the house and will get scrapes on their legs or knees from laying a new floor, installing a new deck, or by simply playing on the floor with their children.
Although we can’t play basketball or baseball and install a new floor or deck we are many times playing or simply laying on very hard surfaces and we dogs get those same scrapes on our paws and legs. Here are Finn’s tips on stopping scrapes before they start and for fixing them after they occur.
- Just like our owners we need a soft place to lay and I can tell you that I really appreciate a nice soft dog bed and if you have seen me at the store you know it has to be a large dog bed. If you don’t have one or yours is really getting old my suggestion is check out the Heyday Bed from West Paw Design. These great beds from a great USA company are in our store. They are easy to clean, are stain resistant, are machine washable and dryer friendly, and of course they are made in the USA. Stop at the store to check them out. You may see me or one of the other Deerhounds laying on one in the kitchen.
- If your dog gets a scrape or develops a callus you should:
- Apply warm compresses three times a day.
- Apply petroleum jelly or a product we have at the store called Paw Rub. The product must be safe because you just know we are going to lick the area if we can.
- Watch for infections and if one develops you need to get an antibiotic from your Vet.
Of course since we are feeling bad from the scrape it is really a good idea to make us fell better with a wheat free dog treat from One Lucky Dog Bakery. Sweet Pea & Mint tastes great and is also great for a sweet smelling breath.
Thanks for your time.
Every dog owner wants their dog to look great and be under control while walking with their owner. When I helped Mom start the Bakery we thought that dog collars and leashes offered at One Lucky Dog Bakery should be different than those our Customers could get at the big box Pet stores. We decided to go with USA collar manufacturers who supplied high quality collars that were unique but also reasonably priced. We now have ten (10) suppliers who give us great support and wonderful designs that are truly unique. We can supply:
- Nylon, Hemp, Rubber, and Cotton collars with quick release. Mom stays away from buckles because two of her dogs got connected at their buckles while playing and she fears if she wasn’t there to get them apart the result would not have been good.
- Martingale Collars – These are great for dogs like greyhounds who can lower their head and slip out of a normal collar.
- Leashes to match each collar in various lengths.
- Harnesses – Bring your dog to get properly sized.
- Slip lead leashes which serve as collar and leash for those quick runs to the car.
- We can even supply flowers for the girls and bow ties for the boys that attach to the collar for that special occasion.
- Collars that glow in the dark for those dark night walks in the winter.
- If you or your dog has a tie to England, Scotland, or Ireland we have some beautiful collars that really stand out.
Stop in with your dog to get properly sized and to make sure the color is perfect for his or her coat. It will also give you an excuse to pick up some dog treats. My favorite is Finn’s Chocolate Dream which are coming out of the oven right now. Time for me to do some counter surfing when Mom is waiting on a Customer. Wish me luck.
Since some of our Customers tell us they have heard that bananas are toxic for dogs I thought I would take a few minutes and clarify the facts about this fruit. It is true that many human foods are very toxic for dogs and should never be given to your dog. The good news is that bananas are not toxic for dogs. Bananas are not on the list of human foods toxic for dogs that is published by ASPCA. This fruit can be cooked, baked, or eaten raw. We combine bananas with peanut butter to make a treat call Monkey Bones and this is our most popular treat at One Lucky Dog Bakery. It is true that if you give your dog more than one banana per day it can result in digestive issues. Monkey Bones and our other treats that have bananas contain just enough to give your dog that good smell he or she is looking for plus added health benefits. Bananas contain almost zero fat, are low in sodium, are a good source of fiber, and provide vitamin C, K, potassium, B6, manganese, and folate. I hope that I have clarified this issue for you and in a future blog I’ll tell you about some human foods that should never be given to your dog. Thanks for your time.
Shopping for dog food is really simple if you follow this one very simple rule; read the label. To give you an illustration I decided that today I would compare the labels of dog treats of two suppliers. The first is from a national well known manufacturer who probably was the first to supply dog treats as a food for dogs and a late comer, One Lucky Dog Bakery.
Here is what is taken directly from the label of the national distributor of dog treats:
- Wheat flour – Most dogs are allergic to wheat.
- Wheat bran – same comment.
- Meat & Bone Meal – This is the really bad stuff from a rendering plant that could include material from diseased animals. If you do not believe me read any website about the definition of meat (can be any meat) and bone meal.
- Milk – No issue for some dogs, others can experience acute intestinal distress.
- Wheat Germ – another wheat product.
- Salt – This is a cheap flavor enhancer and dogs like humans need to control their salt intake.
- BHA preservative – preservatives are required because this product could sit in the warehouse and store shelf for months. BHA is Butylated Hydroxtoluene and has been listed as a suspicious cancer causing compound by the World Health Organization for years.
After reading any label like this with so many bad things on it I would hope that your owner would run as fast as possible away from that dog treat no matter what the price or how long the manufacturer has been selling the dog treat.
For comparison here is what is on the label of one of the dog treats from One Lucky Bakery (Chicken MacKnight):
- Brown Rice Flour – more expensive but this flour has no gluten and will not cause allergy problems for your dog.
- Canola Oil – Rich in energy but healthy for humans and dogs. Low in saturated fats and since it is a vegetable source it helps to reduce heart disease.
- Chicken – All white meat chicken.
- Sweet Potato – Contains high amounts of vitamins B6 (prevent heart disease), C (good bones), D(boosts immune system), Iron (energy), and magnesium (anti-stress vitamin).
- Flax Seed – Reduces risk of heart disease and cancer because it contains Omega-3 fatty acids which are the good fats, lignans which is an excellent anti-oxidant, and fiber.
With all the health benefits of the dog treats from One Lucky Dog Bakery plus the fact they smell great (we dogs love great smells) you now know why I am counter surfing for these dog treats all the time.
Oh, I almost forgot; since the One Lucky Dog Bakery dog treats do not contain those nasty chemical preservatives simply put them in the refrigerator in a closed container and they will last for 8 weeks, if your dog lets them last that long. I’m willing to bet that every time you go to the refrigerator your dog will be right behind you asking for a dog treat.
Since I know you are busy I have a short story today that illustrates how obedient I am. You might think being obedient is being submissive but I rather think being obedient is conforming to a higher authority. I can tell you that I live with someone that requires conforming.
I was playing outside one day on one of the many walks I have with Mom (Stacey) and as usual she checked on me to see if I was getting into any mischief. I can’t really understand how she could think that I could get into any mischief because if you have seen me at the Bakery you already know how well behaved I am. When she called my name I must have really looked guilty because she told me to drop it. Since I am a very obedient dog I stopped, opened my mouth and to my surprise a bird flew out of my mouth. I tried to tell Mom that I was just keeping the bird warm since it was such a cold day but somehow I don’t think she believed me. Yes, the bird lived and I did also to see what I could get into on our next walk.
In keeping with the dog obedience theme of this post I think it is time for me to do my job and taste the new banana and apple chips that Mom has dreamed up. If they are not up to my high standards I will make sure that these dog treats are not distributed to our Dog Customers even if I have to eat them all. I know the other wheat free dog biscuits we have are up to my high standards.
Since this week is a special week for me I thought I would take a minute to talk about myself. Male Scottish Deerhounds have an average lifespan of 8 years. If you have met me at the store or racing or coursing or conformation you already know that I am far above average. My sister Faith (who I love dearly) lives in southern Ohio and we will both be 8 years old on April 20, 2011. I plan on being at our Medina Bakery all day on Wednesday enjoying as many treats as Mom gives me or that I can sneak off the counter without her knowledge.
In honor of Faith and my birthday Mom is baking a big bone treat for me to share with all the dogs who stop in at the store on Wednesday. She will also have a prize drawing for any of you that can make it to the store. I hope to see you all so we all can enjoy the healthy wheat free treats.
PS: Happy Birthday Faith, miss you!.
Love and Licks,
It is a problem that we dogs do not like to talk about but the facts are fleas can occur on all dogs and cats. Here are some very important tips for you and your owner to remember about the best flea control for dogs:
- Research has shown that only 10% of the fleas are on the dog or cat, the rest are in the carpet, drapes, and upholstery.
- Your owner must bathe you (I know some of us just hate taking a bath), wash the bedding, and vacuum the house and furniture thoroughly.
- Keep the grass cut low to reduce chance of fleas breeding and easily moving from the grass to us animals.
- Heavy chemical baths are not necessary.
- A simple bath in dishwashing liquid will kill the fleas and if you leave the suds on 10 minutes before rinsing you can be certain that the killing job is complete.
- Never use dog flea products on cats.
One Lucky Dog Bakery has some great all natural spa products which include shampoos and flea treatments. Just call or stop in, we’ll be glad to answer any questions.
The most important thing to remind your owner is that because you endured the bath you absolutely must be given a wheat free dog biscuit from One Lucky Dog Bakery. The problem may not be fleas but an allergy to wheat in the dog food.
To avoid ear infections after bathing clean ears with cotton balls soaked in witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide half diluted with water. For flop eared dogs you can use a clothespin to hold the earflaps to allow air to dry the inside of the ears. Pin to the hair not the skin. Another trick is prior to the bath put a cotton ball soaked in olive oil inside the ear. Remove the ball after the bath and thoroughly dry the ears.
The following are formulas from Dr. Richard Pitcair to resolve ear mites in dogs or cats. Use formula one for the first three days, do nothing for three days and then use formula two for three days. Wait ten days and repeat the sequence.
Formula 1 – Place the following in a one once eye dropper bottle, days 1,2,3:
·¾ ounce of almond oil
·¼ ounce of olive oil.
·400 IU vitamin E (puncture a capsule)
·Refrigerate the mixture for storing.
·Warm before using by placing the bottle in a bowl of warm water.
Formula 2 – Place the following in an eyedropper, days 7,8,9.
·2 teaspoons ground dried Rue.
·5 teaspoons witch hazel extract.
·1 cup boiling water.
·Steep the Rue in boiling water for 15 minutes, then strain and add the witch hazel.
·Refrigerate the mixture for storing.
·Warm before using by placing the bottle in a bowl of warm water.
Vitamins, minerals, and herbs that are excellent to resolve ear problems are:
·Vitamin E (open the capsule) makes a soothing and healing ear medication. Use it after cleaning the ears with vinegar or peroxide or witch hazel.
·Mullein and garlic ear oil is available at most health food stores and it works on pets ears. Make sure you clean the ear canals of discharge and wax before using.
·Garlic oil is especially useful when the infection is due to fungus or yeast. The fungus or yeast in the ears is usually caused by chronic wetness in the ears.
That’s enough playing doctor for the day. It is time for me to get back to my more important job, tasting our great tasting and smelling grain free dog biscuits.
The obvious signs of ear infections are head shaking, pawing or scratching the ears, odor, brown discharge, redness or swelling inside the ear flap. Ear infections can be caused by injury, a foreign body (ticks or plant material), bacterial infection, and fungal infection or by mites. Fungus infections inside the ear may be caused by leaving water in the ear after a bath or by too many antibiotic treatments.
If your dog has chronic ear infections that are bacterial or fungal related this is probably a sign of a reduced immune system and may have been caused by food allergies. We have eliminated wheat, corn, and soy in our gourmet dog biscuits to eliminate dog treats as a cause of food allergies since most dogs are allergic to wheat, corn, and soy.
Ear mites are tiny parasites that cause a crumbly dark brown discharge from the ear and cause intense itching. If both ears are infected it is very possible mites are the problem. This is especially true for cats. Mites are contagious to other pets in the house and mites can travel to the body of the pet. See your Vet to treat the ears and bathe the pet with an anti flea preparation. Natural preparations contain citrus oils or aromatherapy oils and these do work. Bathe the pet once a week for three weeks even after the mites have been treated.
Since this is a long subject I’ll finish this next time and include a couple of home formulas. In the meantime keep eating our all-natural dog treats.